Cycling Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang
This tour is a challenging journey through the remote hills of northern Thailand and Laos. Starting in the bustling and energetic Chiang Mai, we take dirt tracks north to Chiang Rai and the Golden Triangle before heading into Laos and down the mighty Mekong River to Luang Prabang. Traveling by boat as well as bicycle, this tour gives you a unique glimpse into rural Thailand and Laos
- Day 1
- Thailand’s northern city of Chiang Mai is the starting point of this adventurous tour. The tour starts leisurely with a ride along the Ping River and heads to the handicraft centre at Ban Tawai for some shopping.
- Day 2
- Today is a treat for mountain bikers as the trail winds from rice fields set among soaring limestone cliffs through villages of local hill tribes. After lunch at a Forestry Camp the riding continues along serene mountain trails
- Cycling on back roads through many small villages you’ll see how the locals live and work. The afternoon ride is one of the most scenic on the trip and a real pleasure to cycle. The day is topped of with a stay at a beautiful resort with a splendid view of the Mae Kok River.
- Day 4
- Ride straight from the resort to a Jakhu village before hopping onto a boat for a leisurely cruise down the Mae Kok river. The afternoon riding is off road, with beautiful views of the river, before the surface switches to tarmac for our final push into Chiang Rai.
- Though today’s riding is picturesque, through rice fields dotted with limestone karst mountains, on good road surfaces, the highlight will be the lovely lodge we’ll spend the night at. Set right in the middle of a Hmong village you’ll be able to mingle with villagers and have tea with the shaman.
- Day 6
- Today we leave Thailand behind, cross to Laos and spend our day relaxing on the Mekong River. We have a private boat so we can stop when we want to visit some riverside villages along the way.
- Be prepared for an epic day of challenging riding on a broken track along the Beng river, through pretty Lao villages and unforgettable mountain and jungle scenery. Cycling through rural Laos, you’ll have to make way for all types of colourful vehicles and livestock.
- Day 8
- We are now in the central highlands, and there are some spectacular views across the rugged mountain landscape. We cycle through Hmong villages few people will ever visit and through some of the region’s last remaining rainforest.
- A day to relax those overworked legs and enjoy the balcony of your riverside room or take a leisurely stroll around the small rustic town of Nong Kiau.
- Day 10
- A river journey between limestone cliffs on the Nam Ou river starts the day. Disembark at Pak Ou and visit the famous caves which are crammed with sacred Buddha images. Time to get back on the bicycles and a scenic ride to oneof Asia’s most picturesque towns, Luang Prabang.
- Rise early to watch the monks in their saffron robes collecting alms before we say goodbye at breakfast.
The prince: Contact Us
- Transfers as mentioned above by private air conditioned car
- English speaking tour guide
- Accommodation one night in Chiang-dao at Padeng Lodge in private fan cooled room
- Accommodation one night in Chiang Rai, tourist class hotel, with air-cond and en suite bathrooms
- Meals as mentioned in program
- Elephant show, elephant riding, caves entrance fees
- Beverages, guide tips and personal expenses
- “Hall of Opium” museum entrance fees (optional visit, to be paid locally)
- Compulsory Gala Dinner at hotels (only during festive periods)